Artificial intelligence (AI) is quickly changing many industries, and genealogy is no exception. AI-powered tools are helping genealogists to transcribe records, create digital maps, and search for ancestors’ records more efficiently and effectively than ever before.
The Impact of Technology on Genealogy
Technology has had a profound impact on genealogy research over the past few decades. In the past, genealogists had to rely on manual record transcription, paper maps, and in-person visits to libraries and archives. Today, AI-powered tools can automate many of these tasks, freeing up genealogists to focus on more complex and creative aspects of their research.
AI in Record Transcription
One of the most significant applications of AI in genealogy is record transcription. Historical records can be difficult to read and interpret, especially if they are handwritten or damaged. AI-powered transcription tools can automatically transcribe these records, saving genealogists hours of time and effort.
For example, the FamilySearch AI Indexing project is using AI to transcribe millions of historical records, including census records, birth certificates, and marriage licenses. This project has already made millions of records more accessible to genealogists around the world.
Digital Mapping Tools
Digital mapping tools are another important tool for genealogists. These tools allow genealogists to visualize their ancestors’ movements over time and identify patterns in their migration patterns.
For example, the MyHeritage World Explorer tool allows genealogists to create maps of their ancestors’ migration routes. This tool can be used to identify places where ancestors may have met other family members or to learn more about their ancestors’ cultural heritage.
AI in Ancestral Record Search
AI can also be used to search for ancestral records. AI-powered search engines can identify relevant records from a vast database of historical records, even if the records are misspelled or incomplete.
For example, the AncestryDNA Matching tool uses AI to match DNA test results with family trees. This tool can help genealogists to identify new relatives and fill in gaps in their family history.
The Future of AI in Genealogy
AI is still in its early stages of development, but it has the potential to revolutionize genealogy research. In the future, AI-powered tools may be able to:
- Automatically translate historical records from one language to another
- Identify and connect related records from different databases
- Generate family trees based on DNA test results
- Create virtual reality experiences that allow genealogists to explore their ancestors’ world
Can AI Help Search for Your Ancestors’ Records?
Yes, AI can help you search for your ancestors’ records in a number of ways. For example, AI-powered search engines can identify relevant records from a vast database of historical records, even if the records are misspelled or incomplete. Additionally, AI-powered transcription tools can help you to transcribe difficult-to-read records, making them more accessible and searchable.
Here are some specific ways that you can use AI to help you search for your ancestors’ records:
- Use an AI-powered search engine, such as the AncestryDNA Matching tool or the MyHeritage Record Finder tool, to search for records that match your family history.
- Use an AI-powered transcription tool, such as the FamilySearch AI Indexing project, to transcribe difficult-to-read records.
- Use an AI-powered genealogical research platform, such as MyHeritage or Ancestry, to access a variety of AI-powered tools and resources.
Additional tips for Using AI in Genealogy Research
- Be aware of the limitations of AI. AI-powered tools are not perfect, and they can sometimes make mistakes. It is important to carefully review the results of any AI-powered search or transcription before accepting them as accurate.
- Use AI in conjunction with other traditional genealogy research methods. AI is a powerful tool, but it is not a replacement for traditional genealogy research methods, such as visiting archives and libraries. By using a combination of AI and traditional methods, you can get the most out of your genealogy research.
- Have fun! AI can make genealogy research more efficient and effective, but it is important to remember that it is also a fun and rewarding hobby. Enjoy the process of learning about your family history and discovering new connections to your ancestors.
Sample Questions to Ask AI
If you have a Google account, chances are you have access to their AI chat named Bard. Just for fun, I asked Bard “ Can you give me 5 sample questions a genealogist could ask Bard to further their research?”
This was Bard’s response:
Here are 5 sample questions a genealogist could ask Bard to further their research:
1. Can you help me to find additional sources of information for my ancestor [name] who was born in [location] in [year]?
2. Can you help me to translate the following foreign language document into English? [Provide document]
3. Can you help me to identify any potential DNA matches in the following database? [Provide database]
4. Can you help me to create a visual representation of my family tree, such as a chart or map, that includes [specific information]?
5. Can you help me to generate a list of potential hypotheses about the life of my ancestor [name] based on the information I have provided?
In addition to these specific questions, genealogists could also use Bard to:
- Get help with transcribing handwritten documents
- Get help with understanding complex genealogical concepts
- Get help with finding and using genealogical software and tools
- Get help with networking with other genealogists
Bard is still under development, but it has the potential to be a powerful tool for genealogists. By using Bard to access information, get help with tasks, and connect with other genealogists, genealogists can save time and make more progress in their research.
AI is a powerful tool that has the potential to revolutionize genealogy research. By automating tasks such as record transcription and ancestral record search, AI can free up genealogists to focus on more complex and creative aspects of their research. As AI technology continues to develop, we can expect to see even more innovative and powerful AI-powered tools for genealogists in the future.
The Legal Stuff
Please keep in mind that when you click our links and make purchases, we may receive a small commissions. This does not impact our reviews and comparisons as I try my best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.